How do I find a book?
The quickest and easiest way to find a book is to search for it on the Library website http://library.lincoln.ac.uk.
Enter the title of the book into the search box. Make sure the ‘Find books’ aerial button is selected. If the Library has the book, click on the title link to see information about how many copies there are, where they are located (the shelfmark) and whether they are available.
Make a note of the shelfmark and go to the relevant floor (depending on the number):
- 001 – 599 are located on the first floor
- 600 – 999.99 are located on the second floor
- 340s, oversized and the local history collection are located on the third floor
If all copies are checked out you can request a copy by clicking on the ‘Reserve this item’ button.
How many books can I borrow and how long can I have them?
Undergraduate and postgraduate students can borrow up to 30 items. How long you can borrow them depends on their loan status. The Library currently has the following loan types, which can be identified by a sticker on the spine of the book:
- One week loan
- Four week loan (no sticker on spine of book)
How do I borrow books?
Your student ID card is also your Library card. You will need this and your Library PIN to be able to use the self-issue machines that are located on each floor of the University Library.
How do I renew items?
Unless the item is reserved by another user or returned we’ll renew it for you automatically.
The item will not renew if:
- Another user has reserved it via the library website;
- One week loans: you will receive an email 2 days before the item is due letting you know that it will not renew. The item must be returned promptly.
- 4 week loans: you will receive an email letting you know the item has been recalled. You will then have 7 days to return it.
- you owe £10 or more in fines and/or charges;
- it is a laptop;
- it is a dissertation;
- it is an inter-library loan
Where do I get my PIN?
You can set your Library PIN through the Library website http://library.lincoln.ac.uk Go to the Help menu and select Reset your Library PIN. Your PIN is required for:
- Borrowing books via the self-issue machines
- Laptop loans
How do I find journal articles?
You can search for journal articles by entering your keywords into the Library website http://library.lincoln.ac.uk Make sure the ‘Find books and articles’ aerial button below the search box is selected. For a more comprehensive search, select the ‘Advanced search’ option.
If you would like help with searching or using the library website, click on the ‘Help’ tab on the Library website.
Where can I get help and support?
If you would like to talk to somebody about searching for books and journal articles you can either make an appointment with your Subject Librarian or drop in to Learning Development: http://guides.library.lincoln.ac.uk/asl